Coaches: Engage – How to build positive relationships with your athletes’ parents? (endorsed by UK Coaching)
This course is delivered by Working with Parents in Sport. This course is aimed at club coaches. Topics discussed during the workshop are below
- What is parental engagement?
- What are the positives and negatives of sporting parents?
- Following organisational culture and alignment
- Understanding today’s sporting parent
- What can we do as a coach to keep parents happy?
- What can we look to expect in return?
- The importance of being a positive role model and setting the tone
- Creating an all encompassing philosophy
- Building an effective communication policy
- Building trust with your athlete’s parents
- Running effective parent’s meetings
- Encouraging parents in creative ways
- Recognising and managing ‘the Chimp’
- Dealing with disagreement
- Delivering bad news and planning for crucial conversation
Sessions are between 1 and 1.5 hours approx. However, this may be longer due to developing conversation. This course is part funded by Welsh Gymnastics.